Humping the Hundalees...

I set this morning in quite cool conditions, expecting a fairly easy day with a couple of hills in the middle. A few kilometers out of Kaikoura the highway rejoined the coast and the stunning scenery from the last stage resumed.


There were even some tunnels - on the right the railroad, in the middle the highway, and on the left the sea.


After around 20kms I stopped for a coffee and cake, anticipating the hills to come. Shortly after the highway turned away from the ocean and rose to cross the Hundalee Hills - nasty little climbs with plenty of frustrating ups and downs. By now the day was quite warm and I was feeling quite weary by the time I cleared the hills and headed down a broad valley. 

With no further opportunities for refreshment I pressed on the Cheviot, and seeing the a sign on the outskirts of town offering reasonable rooms rates at the hotel, made a beeline for it and was soon settled into a comfy room.

Tomorrow I'm heading for Waipara, only about 50 kilometers from Christchurch. According to Pedallers Paradise there are only gentle hills in between, but I'm getting wary of such advice.

Click here for a Doarama visualisation of the route.

No comments:

Post a Comment